Provide a holistic package of care to patients within the prison system and manage the assessment of health needs, planning, delivery and evaluation of care, for the prison population, including clinical risk assessment.
Head of Healthcare
• Work with the team, ensuring the delivery of high quality, individualised, evidence-based, patient centred nursing care
• Assess physical and mental health of prisoners on admission to the prison and throughout their period of custody so that any appropriate referral can be made.
• When prisoners are admitted into the Prison, the post holder will be responsible for making a clinical judgment with regard to their immediate needs and long term treatment.
• Work closely with a multi-disciplinary/professional team.
• Administer medication as prescribed by the doctor within the guidelines for medicines administration.
• Respond to medical emergencies within the prison. Carrying emergency equipment to prison wings to provide first on the scene response for resuscitation, CPR, defibrillation as necessary.
• Identify those that are at risk of self harm and put in place plans to reduce said risks.
• Open, maintain, close and take part in reviews of individuals being managed under the Prison Suicide and Self Harm risk management system known as Assessment, Care in Custody and Teamwork, (ACCT).
• Ensure that Safer Cell procedures are followed and monitor patients on constant supervision where they are considered particularly at risk from suicide or self harm, recording observations.
• Undertake clinical supervision to develop further professional competence and clinical practice.
• Report all risks to the senior nursing staff and prison security staff.
• Attend internal and external meetings concerning the care of the prisoners.
• Maintain accurate records of care on SystmOne, based upon the care plan and incorporating all relevant communications and liaison.
• The clash of cultures means that sensitive, complex and contentious issues need to be communicated with sensitivity and empathy. The post holder will need to present new ideas in a persuasive manner.
• Other duties as assigned by line manager
Skills & Experience
• Competency in the core skills, knowledge and attitudes, relevant to the clinical area including:
• Management and Administration of all necessary resources to deliver care.
• Treatment and Care Management
• Collaborative Working
• Professional portfolio supporting the above, demonstrating learning and formal education (i.e. programmes of study recordable with the NMC).
• Provide a holistic package of care to patients whilst working within a multi-agency team within the prison system
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and team working skills.
• To have experience in or be willing to develop skills in relevant to clinical area.
Be able to find and use new information in relation to patient care.
• Registered Nurse (Mental Health) with current NMC registration.
Evidence of continued CPD.
• Willing to undertake training as appropriate to ensure the ongoing development of services within prison healthcare.
Able to meet the security requirements for all prison establishments.